THE SKINNY

The Skinny Magazine in Vancouver is LIVE - LOUD - LOCAL covering independent and touring music - Punk, Metal, Garage, Noise and Rock n Roll since 2008!

REDD KROSS

Redd Kross, Neurotica Line Up,  photo by © Jonathan Krop

Back in the front row


Power pop punks Redd Kross have a new album, Researching the Blues out on Merge Records and much like one of those great reunions with a long lost friend, it defies time and continues right from where it left off. Current members feature: Jeff McDonald on Vocals/Guitars, Steven McDonald on Bass/Vocals, Roy McDonald on Drums and Robert Hecker on Guitars. If you weren't aware of this already, brothers Jeff and Steven McDonald got their start 34 years ago during the Los Angeles' first wave of punk.

It's been fifteen years since the last album and Jeff Macdonald has continued to refine his craft. “For some reason I never stopped writing songs and the one thing I had yet to do is write the perfect pop song. I'm not sure that I ever will but it's something I can't let go of just yet...” says MacDonald and this endeavour found it's shape as the new album. “I had a collection of songs and once we started performing again it made sense to at least lay them down.” There seems to be a timelessness about the songs, especially the current ones. “I really never think about what's going on musically so I just try to please myself. I think we've always known if we dig it, there will be others like us.” That's what you learn when you've been around so long” he says.
At first glance the album title points at historical context. “It's both absurd and heavy and it just came to me one day. I was reading a lot books on the history of American music at the time I wrote the song, so people really do research the blues. I guess I was.” says Jeff and adds “It can also be about doing the same things that constantly make you miserable and not being able to stop, who knows? 
However, the oddity here is the source of the line, not only is it the title of opening number but the actual line 'researching the blues' came from an old song called "Fiona Apple" that Jeff and Steven wrote with Ze Malibu Kids. A project recorded with family: Steve, Anna, Charlotte and Astrid. With so much fragmentation and sub-genres, is it just a good time to just some fun with rock n roll? “I never really pay too much attention to “What's Happening” says MacDonald and “Rock n Roll can be very deceptive in the sense when you're dealing with something so simple it must be pure and if it's not authentic on some level it will fail. It seems it's much more of a challenge to make a really great rock record that one can listen to from start to finish than it is to make art noise or something beat orientated. Very few great rock albums come out each year and even then most are still a bit spotty. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Frank Sinatra, I love noise and heavy grooves. Right now I only listen to Korean girl groups, so what do I know?”


Collecting vinyl is on a fabulous return and something about special those seven inch 45's. “I originally wanted to do five double A sides because most of the songs were written in that single style. I could hear any two songs paired together to make a strong seven inch” says MacDonald.The album, ten songs, Researching the Blues is now available in most formats.
 Looks like Vancouver will get to experience these live and it also seems very likely that you'll have a lot people dancing in the front row. “The last time we played Vancouver the L.A. riots were going down and I think most of the audience was on ecstasy. You never forget a show like that” he says and “I promise there will be something for everybody. Vancouver is a special place. Can't wait!”

Redd Kross play the Rickshaw Theatre September 6

- More Betty