THE SKINNY

The Skinny Magazine in Vancouver is LIVE - LOUD - LOCAL covering independent and touring music - Punk, Metal, Garage, Noise and Rock n Roll since 2008!

KENTUCKY WOMANIZER

Kentucky Womanizer photo by Matt Leaf
Matt Leaf photo

Spark their own kinda light


Burlesque artist Calamity Kate is the rocking seducer of roller Troy Zak, or is it the opposite? Either way, Kentucky Womanizer is a punk ‘n’ roll band with a namesake. “It's my tribute to the real King of Rock 'n' Roll, Neil Diamond,” says bass player and vocalist Zak. “A master song writer. He is so romantic,” adds Kate. “I made it clear to Troy that I get a 'hall pass' should the opportunity ever arise.

“We had been talking about doing something together,” explains Zak. “Calamity Kate, hands down, is one of the most engaging people I've ever seen on a stage.

“I told Troy that I'd sleep with him if he started a band with me, and it worked,” laughs Kate.

“We made a deal I would write the music, sing and Calamity Kate would do all of the back up vocals and light some shit on fire, grind sparks off her smokin' hot body,” says Zak, and “give people something to remember. It's more than music. It's entertainment and we both love that.”

Kate had been on tour with Big John Bates and the Voodoo Dollz. “I loved being a part of that band,” explains Kate, “but I wanted to do something a little different and since I'm dating such an incredible musician, we thought that we could combine both of our talents.”

Zak has toured with the Vibrators, Last of the Bad Men and is on the road with the Real McKenzies. Kentucky Womanizer is a project with Kate and Zak at the core. Add Corporal Ninny from SNFU, the Hookers and the Red Hot Lovers on drums. Guitarist Justin Jeske, from the Wanna-Be's on Lookout! Records, recorded on the album as well. “We have a talented pool of musicians in this city to pull from,” says Troy, “whether or not they stick around depends on if they can get through the set while Calamity Kate is on stage half naked and starting fires.”

The provoking number “Get Down Get On It” is proof of that. “It makes me want to get up, dance and drink a lot of beer!” exclaims Kate. “It's not about sex,” explains Zak, “but it could be. It's about getting off your ass and achieving your goals. For me it meant fronting my own band.”

Three of those songs are out on a comp called Love Thy Beaver including the latter and two covers that feature Calamity Kate on vocals and Greg Kuehn of T.S.O.L. on organ. Look for a 10-inch on SHAKE! Records from Victoria.  An EP of eight punk ‘n' roll songs recorded at the House of Payne.

Kentucky Womanizer is a modern day rock ‘n’ roll ceremony of Vaudeville. “As far as punk rock making a comeback? I didn't know it left town. I've still got my records so it's here forever,” says Zak. It’s a ditto for burlesque. “Lucky for us, Vancouver has some of the best performers in the world.  I see it fitting together beautifully as myself and many of my fellow artists are always creating numbers to punk/rock songs,” explains Kate. “Traditionally, burlesque had always been performed along with a live band…”

Be tempted by Kentucky Womanizer, The Injectors and The Stockers April 25th at Gators Pub in Abbotsford

- More Betty