THE SKINNY

The Skinny Magazine in Vancouver is LIVE - LOUD - LOCAL covering independent and touring music - Punk, Metal, Garage, Noise and Rock n Roll since 2008!

DYLAN RYSSTAD

moving and shaking

DYLAN RYSSTAD

As much as I wanted to tell a beautiful story about a boy on his birthday falling in love at first sight with a guitar, this will be no such tale. “It was more like love at second sight,” accomplished folk guitarist/singer Dylan Rysstad explains. “I started playing at the age of 12. It took me a while to get decent and there were times when I wouldn’t play at all. My dad taught me a few things early on, but I've always preferred to learn on my own.”

Dylan Thomas Rysstad grew up in Prince Rupert, a small town up north, leaving for Vancouver at the age of 16. After playing in punk bands like the Badamps and the Jolts, Rysstad has come full circle and now resides back in Prince Rupert. It’s no secret that life moves a little slower there compared to Vancouver. “It takes ten minutes to drive from one end of town to the other, but I've got a whole house and basement to make noise and record in which is something I've never had before. I don't know if I could handle living in a small apartment again,” Rysstad says.

On the heels of his fifth solo album release Dylan has gone from performing under Dylan Thomas to Dylan Rysstad. “It had a lot to do with people already knowing the name Rysstad here. I was still going by Thomas when I played my first show upon moving back, and the promoter still put Rysstad on the poster. It also seemed like a chance to start over in some ways. That and I always hated having to explain that Thomas was my middle name and that yes, I know there's a poet with the same name.”



The new album was recorded in two separate three day marathon sessions, the first at Tapes & Plates in Welland, ON and the second at Little Red Sounds Studio in Vancouver with Felix Fung. “We did the Welland sessions during what was supposed to be the rapture/end of the world. It was a bit of a let down,” Rysstad remarks.

In 2009 the story goes that Rysstad was wrongfully paid $1800 of Bob Dylan’s royalties thanks to a similarly titled song. Wondering if Rysstad had paid him back was quickly answered. “No, never did. Technically I owe SOCAN the money. They automatically deduct it from what little money I make from royalties. At this rate it's safe to say I'll probably never fully pay them back!”

- Denis Maile

Find Dylan Rysstad’s new album in local Vancouver record stores or on his bandcamp page: dylanrysstad.bandcamp.com